Zero or Die?

Zero or Die?

eskaze FM


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com

Friday 3 December 2010

Brunei Boring?





Taken From Borneo Bulletin


Letter of an expatriate thanking Brunei for being part of his home for many years caught my attention. It's nice to read how appreciative an expat on calling Brunei his/her home. But does it take only an expat to appreciate our country? I asked myself.


Thinking aloud, I was looking why I think Brunei is not a boring place. First foremost, define boring. If you start to compare Brunei with other regional cities, that's where the fallacy started. Also, according to a friend that I chat, his definition of boring is not the place, it's more the personality - how we perceive the place reflects our own personality. I lead a full life and wonder if I got time to think the place is boring. Or maybe cos I'm much settled- having my own house, family, friends, community and the life that revolves around it. I can't say my life is boring cos I have so much to do and interact.


But what I like about Brunei is the following :
When I wake up, I can smell fresh air. I do not have to worry about air pollution in general unless some idiot started an open burning!;
No major traffic jam, apart from the usual office hours rush and maybe once in a 'blue moon' heavy rain; so you can get home within 13-30 mins at most. Compare if you live in megacities like Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta, where it will take an hour to pass thro our 15 mins time of traffic;
Everything is within reach. For me, the beach is only 5mins drive, airport 10 mins, Office 15 mins, Mall - 8 mins. Kids school - 10 mins. Family within - 10 to 1 hour. Accessibility is an important indicator.
We get to see latest movies and now 3D Cinemas. ( apart from the occasional projector cock-up! LOL)
Sports activities are everywhere. Football on the fields or even empty roads/fields. We can see them.
Food is questionably cheap! Nasi katok $1 available 24 hours. But what I heart most is the introduction of food from other cultures from migrant workers, that makes our city more cosmopolitan. Italy restaurants were unheard of, some 10 years ago. Now we got Pondok that sells Ayam Penyet , Thai, Japanese and Korean Restaurants. Cafe society is here as well with gourmet coffee that I like too.
Education, Internet Access that provided a good connection to the outside world.
Air links/ road and water connections to the region , if we need a change of pace of life.
Care to add the list?
At the end of the day, I guess Home is where the heart is!!

Having said that, I am sure many of us have a wish list that we would like to see happen here. For me, it would be good to have Arts/Theatre/Cultural Venue. We are much thankful that we do see local artists performance at corporate events. or cultural performances brought in by the Brunei Music Society or respective foreign Missions. But a real theatre works where local dramas/artists get promoted. Or even a Comedy Store/Cafe where we can laugh at ourselves on our antics.

So what is your take really?

* Disclaimer- just a personal view, nothing else! (take from SENOR PABLO)